We survived the fiscal cliff! There are new planning opportunities to explore, as well as traditional opportunities to revisit. Attorneys, CPAs and business owners need to be aware of recent tax changes and gain insight into planning opportunities that don’t just address gift and estate tax issues, but also income tax and capital gains tax. Succession planning and other transfers of closely held companies almost always involve valuation issues. This course will revisit some of the valuation challenges in buy-sell agreements and explain why you should review your agreements on a regular basis.
Upon completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the favorable transfer tax provisions of the recently passed fiscal cliff legislation
- Identify proposals that could limit certain transfer tax planning tools in the future
- Understand why the planning emphasis may be shifting from transfer tax issues to income tax issues
- Discuss ownership structures designed to achieve valuation discounts and when you might not want to use them
- Consider questions business owners should ask about the valuation mechanism in their buy-sell agreements